[Back to Update List]
Yankee Gas Services Company
P.O. Box 270
Hartford, CT 06141-0270
CL&P and Yankee Gas Remind Customers to Protect Personal Information
Mitch Gross, CL&P
Karen Samide, Yankee Gas
BERLIN, Conn. – October 26, 2010
– As consumers increasingly rely on the Internet and other mobile technology to pay utility bills, request services, and get and use information on saving energy and costs, Connecticut Light & Power (CL&P) and Yankee Gas offer the following tips to safeguard personal information and protect against identity theft.
• Don’t give out information such as your Social Security number, account number or mother’s maiden name unless it is truly necessary to complete a transaction.
• Use passwords that have at least eight characters and include numbers or symbols, and don’t give your passwords to anyone.
• Research online entities so you know who they are.
• Make sure you check your web browser and virus protection software for updates regularly.
, provide more information on how to protect personal information. Consumers may also visit
to learn what to do if their identity is stolen or their personal or financial information has been compromised – online or in the "real" world.
The Connecticut Light and Power Company (CL&P) has been part of everyday life in Connecticut for more than 100 years, providing safe and reliable electric service to homes, neighborhoods and businesses. With 1.2 million customers in 149 cities and towns, CL&P is improving the environments you live in, by offering programs in energy conservation,
economic development and environmental stewardship. CL&P is a Northeast Utilities company (NYSE: NU). For more information, please visit
www.cl-p.com and follow us on
Yankee Gas is Connecticut's largest natural gas distribution company, delivering clean, efficient, safe and reliable natural gas to more than 205,000 customers in 71 cities and towns. Yankee Gas is a Northeast Utilities company (NYSE: NU). For more information, please visit
# # #
[Back to Top]